There is a reason why a lot of Indian weddings are referred to as a Big Fat Indian wedding. If you’ve ever been to one you’ll understand why people say that. When it comes to weddings, us Indians do it like no other. Unlike weddings in other countries, Indian weddings have always been more colorful and extravagant. They go on for several days, and the guests are treated with a lot of food and experiences like being part of the rituals of watching family members dance during ‘sangeet’.
We have our groom come on a horse with his family and friends dancing to a live marching band who play along with them and our brides are dressed in heavy dresses that unlike other countries are of auspicious colors. All our guests are also dressed in colorful traditional clothing and look at their best. The Big Fat Indian wedding is surely an experience.
The occasion of a wedding holds a special place in the hearts of Indians and you could easily say that by looking at their celebrations and also how much they spend. Some Indians have taken the ‘big’ and ‘fat’ at their weddings to a whole new plane.
Here are 10 times Indians redefined the term Big fat Indian wedding :
1. Payal Bansal weds Deepak Kanodia
Payal Bansal daughter of real-estate king Basant Bansal tied the knot with Deepak Kanodia in July 2011. It was a beautiful wedding as decorators, landscape experts, musicians and dancers were flown in to relive the Big Fat Indian Wedding experience for the 5-day wedding. The groom also got a 15 Million Pound cheque as a gift from the Basant family.
Where: Istanbul, Turkey at Mardan Palace Antalya
Cost: Rs. 100 Crores
- Performances by Bollywood celebs like Celina Jaitley and Eesha Koppikhar
- 30 cooks and 130 assistant flown from India to serve authentic Indian cuisine
- 1,00,000 flowers of 25 different types were used to design the wedding venue
2. Vikram Chatwal weds Priya Sachdev
Vikram Chatwal a former actor and hotelier son of Sant Singh Chatwal who founded the Bombay Palace hotels and the Hampshire Hotels and resort chains and Priya Sachdev a model, former actor, and investment banker had a big fat Indian wedding over three cities. It was attended by several dignitaries and royals who were flown from private charted planes from around the world.
The groom climbed on a white horse and led the half-mile baraat to the Taj Palace Hotel where he was greeted by the brides family. The next day they had a Sikh wedding in Delhi attended by Manmohan Singh (the then prime minister of India)
Where: Mumbai, Udaipur, and Delhi
Cost: Rs. 100 Crore
- 50,000 kilos of flowers and 3000 candles were used for decorations
- Private jets to pick up guests from different corners of the world
- Guests included several royalties like Naomi Campbell, King Khan, Lakshmi Mittal, Prince Nicolas of Greece, the son of the late Shah of Iran and Manmohan Singh
3. Vineeta Agarwal weds Muqit Teja
Vineeta Agarwal, daughter of UK based billionaire Pramod Agarwal had a Venetian wedding with Muqit Teja on a 17-acre San Clemente Island in California. The 5-day big fat Indian wedding was extravagant and no expenses were spared.
Where: 17- Acre San Clemente Island, California
Cost: 130 Crores
- A live performance by superstar and world-famous Shakira
- Italian Michelin Star Chef Federico Salza was called to cook food for the guests
4. Sanjay Hinduja weds Anu Mahtani
UK based millionaire Sanjay Hinduja, chairman of Gulf Oil International decided to tie the knot with well-known fashion designer Anu Mahtani with a big fat Indian Wedding. The guests were chauffeured in BMW’s and the bride was head to toe in Manish Malhotra.
Where: Jagmandir Island Palace, Udaipur
Cost: 154 Crores
- Sangeet performances by Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh, and Nicole Scherzinger
- Performance by Jennifer Lopez on the main wedding day
- 16,000 people wedding showered with rose petals
5. Adel Sajan weds Sana Khan
Heir to one of the richest men in the middle east Adel Sajan had a very filmy themes wedding with model Sana Khan on a cruise ship that set sail from Barcelona to Cannes. The wedding included several Bollywood celebrities and a 13 tier, 3.5-metre tall cake made by Michelin Star Chef.
Where: Cruise ship that set sail from Barcelona to Cannes
Cost: 200 Crores
- Badshah dropping his tunes on stage
- A Guest list consisting of Malaika Arora Khan, Shilpa Kundra Shetty and many others
- Michelin Star Chef Fabio Cucchelli made a 13-tier wedding cake that towered 3.5 meters
6. Lalit Tanwar weds Yogita Jaunapuria
Lalit Tanwar son of Congress Leader and businessman Kanwar Singh Tanwar tied the knot with Yogita Jaunapuria daughter of former MLA Sukhbir Singh in 2011 in the village of Jaunapur in Haryana. One of the major highlights was the gift given to Lalit by his in-laws, a bell 429 helicopter that cost a whopping $7.5 Million.
Where: Jaunapur village, Haryana
Cost: 250 Crores
- Performances by Gurdas Maan and actress Neha Dhupia
- The groom got a $7.5 Million Bell 429 helicopter as a gift
7. Vanisha Mittal weds Amit Bhatia
Steel baron Lakshmi Mittal’s daughter Vanisha Mittal’s wedding with Investment banker Amit Bhatia redefined the meaning of a big fat Indian wedding. The wedding took place in Palais de Versailles in Paris in 2004 and is the only private event to be ever held there. The 6-day extravagant marriage was accompanied by the most elite Bollywood stars like Shah Rukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai Bachan and so on.
Where: Palais de Versailles, Paris
Cost: 350 Crores
- dance sequences by Bollywood’s biggest actors like Shah Rukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Akshay Kumar, Juhi Chawla, Saif Ali Khan, and Rani Mukherjee choreographed by Farah Khan exclusively for the wedding
- Singing performance by Kylie Minogue
- Only private event to ever take place at the Palais de Versailles
8. Brahmani weds Rajeev Reddy
While Indians were facing the demonetization crisis, Gali Janardhan Reddy, Karnataka-based mining baron spent a rumored 500 crore for his only daughter Brahmani’s wedding with Rajiv Reddy, son of Vikram Deva Reddy a Hyderabad based businessman making it one of the most expensive and fattest Indian weddings to take place. From gold and silver utensils and the bride drowning in diamond jewels and designer Sarees, the wedding was the definition of a big fat Indian wedding.
Where: Bengaluru Palace Grounds
Cost: Rumoured to be 500 Crore
- The entire venue was made to resemble the ruins of Hampi, the great capital of the Vijaynagar Empire, with replicas of King Krishnadevaraya’s palace, Lotus Mahal, Mahanavami Dibba, and the Vijaya Vittala Temple.
- The invitations cost Rs. 5 crore as the Invites were sent out via individual LCD screens which played a choreographed song starring the family. It also included a silver Ganesha idol.
- The brides wore a Rs. 17 crore Kanjeevaram sari with Rs. 90 crore worth of jewels.
- The utensils for the guests were made out of pure gold and silver
9. Shrishti Mittal weds Gulraj Behl
The wedding of steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal’s niece Shrishti Mittal had a big fat Indian wedding with Gulraj Behl in December of 2013. The wedding was quite crazy with 300 chefs flown in and supervised by Michelin star chef Sergia Arola, and a 6 tier wedding cake was constructed that weighed 60 kg. the wedding was held at the National Museum of Catalan Art atop a hill in Barcelona. It is one of the most expensive weddings ever to take place costing over 505 Crore making it a really big fat Indian wedding.
Where: National Museum of Catalan Art, Barcelona
Cost: Rs. 505 Crores
- 300 chefs flown from India and Thailand
- A 6 tier 60 kg Wedding cake
- Michelin star chef, Sergi Arola took care of the food for the wedding
- Hovering helicopters were capturing all the moments of the wedding
10. Sushanto weds Richa and Seemanto weds Chandini
The sons of Sahara Tycoon and businessman Subrata Roy, Sushanto and Seemanto had their weddings together in an extravagant affair that was one of the biggest and most expensive weddings to ever take place. The wedding was a lavish occasion with the venue decorated like a palace with mashals , torch lights, wax lights, and prism glasses.
There was a band playing old songs of Shammi Kapoor. The wedding was really a big fat Indian wedding with huge celebrities, Politicians, and businessmen attending the occasion.
Where: The Sahara Shaher, Lucknow
Cost: Rs. 552 Crore
- Designers Rohit Bal and Sabyasachi Mukherjee designed the wedding dresses.
- 110 type of dishes from around the world
- Amitabh Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Kapil Dev, Anil Ambani, and many other celebrities attended the wedding
What would you do at your wedding if you had all the money in the world? Would you spend that much money at your wedding? Could you come up with something crazier than these people?
Let us know in the comments!